XI Kant Readings Conference Program
Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University announces the XI International Kant Readings: “Kantian Project of Enlightenment Today”, dedicated to Kant’s 290th anniversary and to 230th anniversary of his widely influential essay “Answering the Question: What is Enlightenment?”
The conference is organized with the support of Russian Foundation for Humanities, grant № 14-03-14026г and Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University, development program Г-2014-53211 «Organization and Implementation of International Conference “XI International Kant Readings”»
The conference will take place on April 21st – 24th, 2014. The Organizing committee suggests the following broad topics for discussion:
- What is the meaning of Enlightenment in twenty-first century?Age of Enlightenment and modernity.
- What constitutes the power of an enlightened reason?
- Social and political problems of today’s world in light of the Kant’s treatise.
- Enlightenment and world religions.
- Problems of morality in today’s world.
- Enlightenment, science and education.
- Enlightenment and evolution of law and legal awareness in nowadays society.
- Aesthetic theory, art and Enlightenment.
- Educational functions of mass media and communication.
- Contemporary culture and Enlightenment.
Traditional topics of Kantian studies, not immediately connected to the topic of Enlightenment, are also proposed for discussion in relevant sections of the Readings.
Working languages – German, English, Russian.
- Theoretical Foundations of the Philosophy of Enlightenment
- Enlightenment, Human Nature, and Religious and Moral Issues
- Enlightenment and Social and Political Issues
- Criticism and Reception of the Ideas of Enlightenment
- Enlightenment and its Relevance Today
- Enlightenment in Education and Art
Plenary papers – 40 min., discussion – 20 min.
Session papers – 20 min., discussion – 10 min.
Download conference program in PDF (English)